Friday, July 20, 2012

Fiction Is a Longer Process Than Non Fiction

Well I sure was naive. I thought that once I had an idea (check), and was able to fill in the blanks of a story (check), I'd be able to write it all down and release it online for feedback (crickets).

Doesn't quite work that way. I did have my idea flood to me, and the story poured out of me from start to finish. But when I was done and I walked away from it for a couple of days, I realized that fiction is not like non-fiction at all - even with the idea and storyline written down.

With my non fiction works, it has become completely easy for me. I know of a problem. I know the solution. I write down my thoughts on it using my own experience and any additional research.

Fiction? Not even close, baby. This isn't a creation where my own success matters or facts count. This is all about entertainment. And while I entertain with my non fiction to some degree, it's more just letting people get to know me.

Fiction doesn't let anyone get to know me - they're getting to know my characters and a world they can't see unless I paint the picture for them.

So now a few days later, my Mom still reading it slowly and editing with notes, I have lost all that FAST minded mindset and put the brakes on this endeavor.

I view it more now like a slow cooker recipe instead of fast food. My non fiction is fast food. Tastes good. Fattens you up.Hits the spot. But I have lots of work to do.

One thing I realized is that I can NOT just sit and write like I do with my non fiction (which I'm comfortable with). I'm going to need a storyboard so I can see the flow.

With non fiction I can easily know in an instant - "Oh, I need to go back and put the blog creation before the product creation step because they can start affiliate marketing." Fiction doesn't work this way. I have to carefully remember my audience doesn't know the story in my head, and I need to reveal it to them in the right timeline.

And it's so exciting that scenes can be moved, characters can be added, and reactions can change - all on a whim at my discretion. It's like being a god of your own little world. You can't do that with non fiction. It's either one way - or it's NOT!

Part of me is petrified at this insight I gained today and the other is turned on by it all. It's exciting, and while I want to hurry up and "see if I suck" (sorry but I have to be honest), I don't want to see if I suck until I know I'm at least giving you something good to judge me by.

Vomiting a story onto paper in a flash isn't my best work. It's a start, yes. I finished something. But now I have to spice it up and garnish it and put it on a plate like art.

Yes, I'm a slow cooker. But maybe if I do it the right way, it'll be one of the better stories you've ever read than a rush job that makes you feel like you wasted your money.

Tiff :)


8 comments:

Ruth L Harding said...

I have been wondering how it has been going for you as you have been quiet (relatively)about your story writing for a day or two.
Can't tell whether or not you feel this is still the direction to go in....

Unknown said...

Nice pace. I was anticipating this.

Maybe some short stories? They're good practice. It's like building the ramp for the rocket.

Tiffany Dow said...

Hey Ruth! Yes I just blogged about this on my tiffanydow blog in fact - several people have emailed me :) Very much a direction I want to go!

Tiffany Dow said...

Agneta you're a wise woman. I feel like you're watching a little bird hatch and you know one day I'll fly, but right now you're seeing me struggle. I might short story it. That's like falling out of the nest. A big OOMPH coming.

Admin said...

You know by now that I outsource. But even that I'm doing in small chunks. The first four "books" will be only 10000 words each then bundle them up.
The next series will double the amount of words...after I promote and make money on the first series.

Tiffany Dow said...

Sorry Admin, I don't know who you are but thanks for sharing your process ;)

Buddy said...

Sorry Tiff, it's Buddy from Kindling.

Tiffany Dow said...

lol Oh okay I was curious when it said admin! :)