Wednesday, July 18, 2012

From Trilogy to Short Story Series

When I started writing my fiction series, I initially thought it would be a trilogy of novels. As I studied the business side of things, and realized I needed to know if the public was receptive to my fiction skills at all, I understood it needed to be released in a series of short stories.

Each book in the trilogy was already mapped out to be split into three sections, so this works out well. I finished the first story last night. I actually teared up at one scene - and I keep hoping now that others will feel the emotion and see a movie in their head the same way I am.

I finished at 8 PM last night and took a break. Watched an episode of Glee, ate some dinner (salad and Brussels sprouts with cheese), and then picked up a printed version and read over my work.

PANIC time!

I'm most critical of my own work. But I've been at non-fiction long enough and had so much incredible feedback over the years to have a bit of an ego. Not with fiction. I have no feedback other than my Mom, and I have never let myself finish a project, always abandoning it because I criticized myself to death.

I did the same thing last night. But instead of deleting the file, I revised. I added dialogue. I made it the best I could make it. Then I emailed it to my Mom. She's a great fiction writer and editor, and not afraid to tell me the truth.

I woke up and the ecover for my fiction novel was ready. It's amazing. It reflects the story perfectly. I called my Mom and she was honest with me - saying it's written in a voice that fits the character, but she did get bored on page 4. She told me why - I'll be fixing it. She was right.

She told me all the things she loved. She boosted my confidence. I'm still scared though. That's just not going to go away until I have experience and time under my belt. I don't mind haters, as long as there are fans, too.

Today I'm going to do some business work and clean house, step away from the fiction for awhile so I can revisit it with a clear head.

I am certain of one thing, though. I am damn proud of myself for finishing it. I haven't done that in forever. And it feels goooooood.

Tiff ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely it feels good. I'm glad to hear that you're stepping away from it as well.

Any writing I do, especially in a area where I don't feel experienced enough, needs time to breath, without me huffing down it's neck.

It's really exciting watching your progress on this fiction journey.

Tiffany Dow said...

Thanks Minna! Exciting for me too. I've written for decades just let fear get in my way.

Unknown said...

I think it's part of the process. Experienced writer feel the same. I think it will lessen with time but it will always be there.

We have to learn to enjoy the creepy feeling as a part of the process.

But I hope I'm wrong. ;)

It's good to see you wiggle loose and get confused. It's fun and educating. We grow a little every time we do.

Any shorties coming to the blog soon?

Tiffany Dow said...

Oh wow I didn't even consider shorts to the blog, Agneta! Fun thought. Maybe! Concentrating on this one first and then we'll see!