Monday, July 16, 2012

My Love Affair With the What If Genre

Technically, I know it's not a genre all on its own, but who cares - I'll make it one. Whenever I see a movie or read a book that has even an ounce of possibility in it, I instantly fall in love.

Last night I watched Limitless with Bradley Cooper. I remember seeing it as a trailer and knowing I wanted to see it when it started out saying that he was not homeless (which he looked like initially), but he was the only other thing that could cause someone to look so disheveled - a struggling writer.

The movie is a "what if" story about someone creating a pill that helps you tap into 100% of your brain, not the mere 10-20% humans know how to use currently.

It was incredible, except for the distorted scenes that sent my severe motion sickness into overload. I have always loved movies that take on this role - they're a far cry from something else I love, real human emotion stories like the movie Parenthood or Father of the Bride.

What if stories shouldn't BE. They're freaky. They're a little spooky because they COULD happen if someone or something made it so.

When I revisited my fiction talents this year, I initially started off with a combination what if/emotion story - a mother and son modern day story that is heart wrenching and later heart warming. I'll go back to it eventually.

But when a what if/creepy idea flooded my brain, it simply took over. It had the speed and thrill that the other didn't have. The other idea, more like a Jodi Picoult type genre, is something I would enjoy, but could easily put down when it was time to go to sleep.

The one I'm working on now is the kind of story where I extend my 30 minute bath into 1 hour or even an hour and a half just so I can read ONE MORE little chapter and find out what happens next. It's the kind where every chapter ends with action and each new one begins with a reaction, making you want to see how the main character handles it.

The novel I'm working on now is part 1 in a trilogy similar in genre to The Hunger Games. I am devouring those books - middle of the second right now. And yes, I emerge from my bath looking like a raisin every night, not caring one bit.

My trilogy is based on something that can really happen and in fact to a tiny degree, there have been stories of it happening lately. Usually, these are shocking and startling news clips. Very rare and something we all wrinkle our noses at. My trilogy expands on the premise of "what if" this startling occurrence became the norm.

It begins two generations into the turn of events, so that our main character was born into it but she's still connected to her mother, who was forced into it. Their viewpoints are at odds in the beginning and we'll see our main character evolve as if her eyes are being opened to the horror she once ignored as being normal.

I was thinking back on other what if stories I always liked that were a bit creepy. Total Recall comes to mind, too. That was original when Hollywood did it (the first time lol). What if they COULD implant a virtual vacation into your mind and it wound up going horribly wrong and/or there was a government conspiracy in the background? Love it.

Well, I'm really excited and look forward to sharing more about my story along the way. 


Tiff ;)

6 comments:

Lisa Oliver said...

I had seen a couple of your blog posts on your new fiction idea - I love that you are excited about it and think I am going to have to follow your example and give my creative ideas a bit more free rein to consider a "what if" scenario myself.
I am looking forward to your posts on this :)
Lisa

Tiffany Dow said...

Go for it Lisa! It's freeing.

G. A. Donaldson said...

I love reading and writing the "what if" type of story, and I can't wait to read more of your writing in the future; blog and novels. Stephen King once said he writes "what if" premise with the element of emotion. Without it, I think, is a mistake.

Tiffany Dow said...

Me too Gordon. It's amazing how tuned in I am to what I like now that I'm writing again. I pay close attention to that now.

Ruth C said...

Tiff, have you checked out the G+ circle "Writers and those who want to write"? I am not sure that's the exact title, but it's something like that. A search for the circle will bring it to you.

Lots of good stuff there. This is looking good for you.

Tiffany Dow said...

I haven't Ruth! I try not to join too many groups because I get bogged down in socializing rather than working. LOL! But sometimes I go looking for support and inspiration so thanks for the resource! I may need it :)